The history of OPTOLYTH®

Founded in 1856 by J.E. Sill in Nuremberg. (Continued operation by his daughter, Maria Roth, née Sill and her family up to Walter Roth in 2004).

Production begins at the Schwabenmühle (Swabian Mill) and is relocated to Riesenschritt 20 in 1860. In 1945 the company relocates to Oed/Weigendorf. Production for the Nuremberg toy industry commences. Simple Galileo binoculars, kaleidoscopes and telescopes soon follows.

After 1945 the production of reading lenses and binoculars is launched in Oed.

Starting in 1965 top quality prism binoculars and scopes are produced under the name of OPTOLYTH® and sold worldwide. With the manufacturing of ROYAL roof prism binoculars and retractable spotting scopes the company makes a name for itself and builds a large customer base.

In 2004 Optolyth Optics is bought by Sill Optics. Production is relocated to Wendelstein near Nuremberg where the range of products is still manufactured with the newest machines.

In 2008 managing partner Berndt Zingrebe initiates the merger of both companies, uniting them once again under the original name Sill Optics.

In Wendelstein modern production facilities with the latest CNC machines for the manufacturing of lenses are now available, as well as prototype manufacturing and in-house development. Assembly is now located in the plant in Sorg/Wendelstein whereas the shipping department is located in the parent company.

Thus it is guaranteed that the name OPTOLYTH® continues to stand for quality products „Made in Germany“.

Sill Optics GmbH & Co. KG
Johann-Hoellfritsch-Str. 13
90530 Wendelstein

Phone: +49 9129 9023-20
Fax: +49 9129 9023-23
www.optolyth.de, www.silloptics.de